The Communications Lead – Africa will be responsible for the development and implementation of Heifer Africa’s overall communications strategy
S/he will create and manage communications plans designed towards engaging internal and external stakeholders, promoting key activities within Africa region, and promoting the Heifer brand. S/he will also be in-charge of planning and managing the reputation, public relations, marketing, and communications for Heifer Africa. This includes emails, advertisements, manuals, letters, website content, events management, and other forms of communication.
S/he will position Heifer as a thought leader in driving integration between technology and climate-smart agriculture in order to increase incomes for smallholder farmers in Africa. S/he will also promote access to innovative finance and elevate Heifer’s voice to attract investors to partner on its innovative and accelerator programs.
Who we Are
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age. Their status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability will not be a disadvantage.
What You will be Doing
As the Communications Lead – Africa you will oversee the activities of communications consultants and vendors and lead communications projects and new initiatives. You will handle events co-ordination and matters related to external engagements. At the same time, you will assist with the discovery/development of communication and engagement platforms for spokesperson(s) to articulate Heifer Africa’s point of view, develop relationships with media agencies, publications, editorial staff, and influential columnists. You will also institute capacity building seminars and implement protocol for official interaction for media enquiries, press conferences and media visits across the Region. As the Communications Lead – Africa, you will report to the Senior Vice President – Africa Programs.
Character Traits You Should Have
Quality decision making
Pro self- development
Optimizes work processes
Cultivates innovation and values differences.
1. Position Heifer appropriately in the public domain. (20%)
2. Responsible for Heifer Africa content development as an organization that prioritizes Africa due to the abundant opportunities in Africa. (20%)
3. Development and implementation of Heifer’s Communications Strategy for Africa (40%)
– Drive visibility and positioning of the Heifer brand across the region, in alignment with Regional leadership.
– Ensure alignment on the organization’s brand and messaging strategies across the country offices.
– Ensure adoption of all aspects of approved PR/Brand DNA in all content – documents, presentations, brochures, adverts, and speeches.
– Ensure that corporate narrative is deeply entrenched in all internal and external communication and visual expression.
– Direct Heifer Africa brand positioning business wide through cross functional and cross-team co-ordination and cooperation.
– Serve as a champion for internal PR/corporate narrative.
– Influence the tone, look, and feel of shared media platforms with close coordination with the Global Communications Team.
– Receive strategic direction and manage relationships/information flow with retained PR consultants.
– Provide feedback and observations towards refining or re-thinking strategies.
– Leveraging data on Heifer past successes in Africa to position is as partners to co-design with development partners.
– Key media interface.
– Key event organizer.
– Identifies suitable positioning opportunities.
– Mitigates reputation risk.
– Ensure top of the mind awareness for Heifer and achieve the highest visibility in the development sector in key media, by ensuring 80% positive media mention.
– Leveraging media partnerships to position Heifer as thought leaders on youth & technology to increase incomes for smallholder farmers.
– Promote access to innovative finance and elevating Heifer’s voice to attract investors to partner on our innovative and accelerator programs.
– Showcase Heifer’s partnership with the private sector and governments.
– Identify suitable programs, events and initiatives for media leveraging and positioning.
– Position Heifer as a thought leader in driving integration between technology and climate-smart agriculture.
– Assist with developing the business case for Heifer and ensure visibility with key business media, government, and the local donor community.
– Ghosts write opinion pieces positioning Heifer Africa experts as thought leaders.
– Assist with development of speeches/presentations/brochures/ infomercials/ short clip videos.
– Assist with responses to media enquiries.
– Manages all executive external and internal communication.
– Provide high quality, consistent program and thematic content based on approved communication and brand DNA in multiple media channels including press, web, and social media.
– Create, maintain and conduct analytics reporting and extract key insights for future communications plans, complete with formal proposals and recommendations on tactics.
What you Should Have
Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree plus a minimum of 15 years’ experience in a reputable PR/Brand consulting firm, or Corporate Communications in a large corporate organization preferably multi-national. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
A bonus to help you stand out
Master’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree, plus a minimum of 5 years’ experience in senior management position leading PR/Brand management or Corporate Communications.
Most Critical Proficiencies
– Knowledge of public relations work applied across all forms of media.
– Strong writing, editing and presentation
– Demonstrated knowledge and skills of building networks, partners and collaborations for media and positioning.
– Negotiation skills including ability to listen and
– Work with a global mindset preferably with demonstrated experience in working at local, and global levels.
– Demonstrated experience of working with diverse cultural groups, and gender equity approach.
– Experience in taking complex ideas and capturing in accessible ways and multiple formats – briefing papers, positioning pieces, publications, press releases, and social media.
– Experienced in identifying and managing sensitive media issues and crisis
– Ability to collaborate and build positive working relationships with multiple internal and external partners.
– Experience with the design and implementation of results-oriented communication strategies.
– Demonstrated experience managing and/or facilitating events, small convenings, and forums of experts preferred.
Check out other details on the job responsibilities and physical demands here
Deadline for Application: 9th November 2022