In this role, you will be a core member of the McKinsey consulting team with responsibilities that range from shaping product vision, strategic designs to managing and transforming agile product and leadership teams.
This Young Leaders Programme ( YLP ) is a 1-year full-time consulting program designed for recent university graduates from different academic backgrounds interested in pursuing an exciting career in software engineering and passionate about working in Africa. YLP helps to develop exceptional young local African talent into real leaders. This is an internship open to Nigerian graduates who have completed their country’s mandatory national youth service.
You will be based in our Lagos office as part of McKinsey Digital in Africa. This group brings together the best of McKinsey’s digital capabilities to help our clients use digital technology to transform their businesses.
In each situation, as a product owner, you will typically be at the center of the problem solving, advising our most senior clients on how to successful execute on their strategic vision with digital means.
As part of this group, you’ll join a global team working on everything from IT modernization and strategy to agile, cloud, cybersecurity and digital transformation. You’ll typically work on projects across all industries and functions and will be fully integrated with the rest of our global firm. You’ll also work with colleagues from across McKinsey & Company to help our clients deliver breakthrough products, experiences and businesses, both on technology and non-technology topics.
What You’ll Do
– You will lead the execution of digital product development and transformation projects for leading industry players, mainly in Africa.
– In this role, you will be a core member of the McKinsey consulting team with responsibilities that range from shaping product vision, strategic designs to managing and transforming agile product and leadership teams.
– You will engage on some of the most challenging business problems facing our clients. These projects can range from rapid process re-inventions at leading financial institutions, ‘big data’ analytics at large scale retail organizations, to consumer facing app development for traditional industries.
– You will be at the intersection of business strategy, client and implementation vendors and you’ll be responsible for translating abstract visions into reality, while managing client expectations as well as vendor efficiency.
– You will also be proficient in all aspects of the agile deliverables required for a technology team to build beautiful products. This includes hands-on development of storyboards, wireframes, product prioritization, backlog, user stories, product KPI, monitoring/tracking and commercialization.
What You Should Have
– Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business or equivalent degree.
– 1 – 2 years of experience leading Agile projects as a product owner and as a scrum master.
– Experience leading product and/or cross functional teams; experience as both a team member and coach in the agile product owner roles.
– Experience building consumer quality products, enabling business capability and objectives through technology.
– Strong product instinct to build great product vision, product roadmap and competitive analysis.
– Knowledge and understanding of technical engineering best practices (e.g., test driven development, continuous integration, etc.).
– Excellent knowledge on tracking and analytics setup.
– Proficient with drawing storyboards, creating wireframes, creating/‘grooming’ product backlogs, writing user stories and developing acceptance criteria.
– Skills to prioritize and align with business and IT stakeholders to ensure highest value capture.
– Excellent project management skills; ability to plan 2-3 steps ahead of the team and surface hidden risks 2-3 levels deep within the team.
– Ability to work under pressure and manage client expectations; ability to work at an abstract level and continuously pivot to arrive at the highest impact answer for the client.
– Excellent analytical skills and data driven approach to constantly analyze user feedback and analytics report.
– Ability to influence senior client business and IT executives on transforming towards agile; ability to move between strategic discussions with senior client leaders to tackle on the ground agile coaching with teams.
– Excellent communication skills; skills to communicate complex ideas effectively in English.