We are hiring a technical author, to be a part of an engineering team, focused on a specific Canonical product.
As the technical author on the team, you will collaborate with software developers, product managers, community members, other documentation authors, information architects, quality assurance engineers and technical support engineers. All of this will be done to develop clear documentation for complex technical topics.
You will lead the team effort to create, maintain and improve Technical documentation that serves the needs of the product’s users, while embracing the principles of the Diátaxis documentation framework. You will have a broad impact on – and responsibility for – the quality of the user experience with the product. You will also contribute towards the long-term success of the project itself.
You will have an important role in a company-wide effort to establish excellence in documentation, across all aspects of its practice.
What you’ll do
- Create, maintain and improve tutorials, how-to guides, reference guides and explanatory material.
- Address the needs of users including developers, system administrators and end-users.
- Use and explore the product in depth, to help discover where the documentation needs to be improved
- Review, road-test and improve practical guides.
- Update reference and explanation material in collaboration with colleagues.
- Improve and correct documentation based on feedback from users and technical support.
- Read design documents and specifications.
- Build, install, and use pre-release software to assist in generating proper instructions.
- Standardise the structure, presentation, style and language of content across products.
- Actively improve documentation, through attention to practice, process, tools and users’ needs.
- Contribute towards the development of documentation as a professional discipline at Canonical.
Our best candidate
- Is a technical author who’s comfortable reading and writing code. A programmer / developer with a record of producing excellent documentation can apply.
- Is familiar with application deployment, system operations, and infrastructure management.
- Is qualified with a BS/BA or equivalent in Technical Communication, English, or Computer Science.
- Is experienced working in a technical writing position.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Has the ability to assimilate technical information rapidly from a variety of sources.
- Has the character and flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Is familiar with command line UNIX/Linux.
- Is effective working in a distributed team.
- Is confident using Ubuntu Desktop for all of the above.
- Is familiar with Git or other version control systems.
- Has knowledge of HTML and Markdown.
- Is able to travel twice a year for up to two weeks for events.
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.