Now in its seventh year, the Poynter Leadership Academy for Women in Media has transformed the careers of more than 400 women in news media and tech. During a week often described as overflowing with “Poynter magic,” each participant learns to manage teams more effectively, hone and communicate their strategic vision and steer their organizations toward success. But perhaps more important, graduates of the Poynter Academy and ONA’s partner program, the Women’s Leadership Accelerator, join a global community of support.
This sisterhood is established during the program through honest, candid and often vulnerable conversations, hands-on activities, formal and informal social activities, and shared experiences. Each participant’s network expands after the program as graduates from different classes network, connect online and in person, and even mentor each other.
Poynter will host three women’s leadership academies in 2021, in Spring, Fall and Winter, each open to 30 participants:
- Spring: May 2-7, 2021
- Fall: Sept. 26-Oct. 1, 2021
- Winter: Nov. 7-12, 2021
What you’ll do
- Travel to Poynter in sunny St. Petersburg, Florida, for six days of intensive, transformational learning away from work and home
- Deeply connect with your cohort of 30 diverse women and join an alumnae group of more than 400 women leaders
- Process feedback from your boss, direct reports and peers with a Poynter coach
- Explore your personal communication styles as a manager
- Chart your unique, winding career path based on how you define success
What you’ll learn
Each leadership academy next year will be unique, with different instructors, new workshops and a diverse mix of participants from all over the world. Key lessons will be how to:
- Defeat imposter syndrome
- Find better work-life chemistry
- More effectively handle burnout and anxiety
- Tackle difficult conversations
- Understand approaches to managing change
- Create space for diverse talent
- Advocate for yourself and others
There will be three separate classes for Poynter’s 2021 program, held May 2-7, 2021 (Spring), Sept. 26-Oct. 1, 2021 (Fall) and Nov. 7-12, 2020 (Winter) at Poynter’s campus in St. Petersburg, Florida.
There will be one application to seat all 2021 classes, and it is open now until Nov. 30, 2020. Poynter will use one application form to seat all three classes. Required application materials include work experience, a letter of recommendation and an example of a digital project. Read updated FAQs for more information.
Apply for the Academy here.