The BBC’s Africa Hub is looking for a creative journalist aware of the emerging and unreported stories about African women.
It’s an exciting opportunity to create new forms of digital storytelling and journalism that reaches 111 million people in Africa. As a Women Affairs Journalist you will join a new multi-disciplinary digital team in Nairobi made up of news gatherers, data journalists, software developers and social media specialists who will be working with journalists working across 12 language services (English, Amharic , Tigrinya, Afaan Oromo, Swahili, Somali, French, Great Lakes , Pidgin, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa)
BBC Africa aims to make, explain and connect African and global stories by providing a unique insight into the main stories of the day in original formats. The African service digital offer consists of websites, mobile sites and Social Media with all services providing multimedia content in text, video, interactive and audio for radio, online, TV, mobile and social media platforms.
As a Women Affairs Journalist you will:
- Generate, research, produce and edit multi-media journalistic pieces aimed at BBC Africa’s female audience.
- Suggest ideas about new ways of engaging the female audience, and to put these ideas into practice.
- Identify compelling digital and TV content and translate into a form suitable for our multiple platforms.
- Think of creative video/digital treatments for some content.
- Present or report live across digital platforms, TV and radio by providing up to date with the news agenda in the region and understand how it’s playing out in social spaces.
- Participate in short- and long-term planning, offer new ideas and to suggest new angles on existing stories and to put forward stories not yet covered.
- Produce and develop women’s blogging network within the Africa.
- Work across platforms (online, social media, TV etc.) and ensure that the female agenda is covered across all of the Service’s output, in a relevant and engaging manner, in adherence to the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
The Ideal Candidate
- A successful record in working in an online and social media production environment including demonstrable experience and enthusiasm for social media and interactivity.
- Demonstrates an excellent knowledge of developments in social media and related areas.
- Excellent style and ability to adapt output to different platforms. Ability to engage audience.
- A clear understanding of the needs and profile of the female audience and the ability to translate these into imaginative and compelling content solutions, specifically with reference to social media.
- Comprehensive knowledge of writing and editing content for publication to high editorial standards.
- Understanding of the women’s agenda in the target region and in the world.
- Evidence of sound editorial and community judgement as well as an understanding of the power of online communities.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Application Closes: 06 November, 2017
Apply via this link.