We are seeking to hire a full-time, permanent Gallery Assistant.
Addis Fine Art is growing and will need a gallery Assistant who can assist other members of the team with the day-to-day running of the gallery and the delivery of a range of exciting projects.
This position is well suited for a driven individual with experience working on ambitious projects in a small team, who is well organized and motivated to work in the arts.
Addis Fine Art was founded in 2016 with a unique mission, to spotlight art from the Horn of Africa and diaspora, and showcase contemporary art from this region on the art world’s biggest stages. We are looking for a conscientious individual who understands the task at hand and can see the bigger picture, and join us in this mission as the gallery continues to grow and expand.
About the Role
– Logistics support, handling the shipping of artworks, relating to both sales and programming, and assisting with other logistical needs including overseeing stretching and framing of artworks. The ideal candidate will be effective at managing the many external suppliers the galleries works with.
– Assisting the Head of Programming with exhibition-related duties, both internal and external. These tasks will include: assisting with curating the exhibition, coordination of installation and de-installation, sourcing materials, booking and liaising with contractors, art fair logistics, handling artworks, and carrying out condition reports.
– Supporting the Sales Manager with tasks such as invoicing, preparing sales marketing material, and managing travel and diary arrangements.
– Coordinating communications, including preparing social media visuals and captions, updating the website, and preparing email marketing.
– Managing the database, including updating Artist CVs and portfolios, meticulously organizing files, and documenting information.
– PerformingEA duties for Addis Fine Art CEO and Founder, including arranging calendar arrangements, travel arrangements, and press engagements.
– Copyediting and proofreading literature including press releases, commissioned texts, and transcribed conversations for publication.
– Ensuring front and back of house areas are clean and organized with supplies and materials.
– Providing a warm welcome to gallery visitors which includes having advanced knowledge of the gallery programme and confidently answering visitor questions.
Essential Skills & Experience
– Exceptional organizational skills.
– Previous experience handling shipping artworks.
– Great attention to detail.
– Excellent command of the English language, including strong writing skills.
– Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Suite, and Google Workspace.
– Strong social media skills.
– Ability to be proactive and manage multiple deadlines.
– Strong and clear communicator, able to work maturely within a team environment as well as independently. — Interest in Contemporary Art.
– Previous work, intern or volunteer experience in an arts or office environment.
– Interesting Graphic Design.
Desired Skills & Experience
– An interest in African contemporary art.
-Proficient in Graphic Design.
– Proficient in SketchUp (or other comparable 3D modelling software) and Adobe InDesign.
– Previous experience in a registrar role
– Previous experience working in a small team
Terms: Full-time, permanent with an immediate start. Tuesday – Saturday, with occasional evening work as required
How to Apply
Please submit a CV and cover letter here by 20 June 2022 with the subject heading: ‘Application: Gallery Assistant, YOUR NAME’. Interviews will be conducted in person and will include two short skills tasks