Call for Application from young art writers and editors who are interested in cultural journalism
In the context of the project “We Make Books”, the Society for Book and Magazine Editors of Nigeria and the Goethe-Institut Nigeria will facilitate an Art Writing and Criticism Workshop for young art writers and editors based in Africa from August 2022 to February 2023.
Target Audience: We are interested in 20 early and emerging young art writers and editors, who cover culture journalism.
About The Goethe-Institut
The Goethe-Institut is the Federal Republic of Germany’s cultural institute, active worldwide. We promote the study of German abroad and encourage international cultural exchange
About We Make Books
We Make Books! is an artist-led educational organization that aims to promote the craft of bookbinding and the book as an art object in its own right, through courses, exhibitions and events. We can tailor a workshop or course for any occasion, theme, age group and experience of participants. All materials and equipment are provided. If you would like us to run a workshop at your event, arts organization or educational institution please get in touch via email.
The association aims to serve as a standards-setting organization by promoting editorial excellence and professionalism in the industry through guidance in global best practices and knowledge partnerships with experts from around the world.
SBMEN provides training and resources, performance assessment activities, advisory services, networking events and a directory with job listings to increase proficiency in editing and advance the careers and businesses of members.
The hybrid workshop will consist of both online and in-person workshop sessions, which will be held in Lagos, Nigeria. It is organized to offer young writers training in critical thinking and writing, copy editing, and style guides to grow their careers. Selected participants will learn from established writers, editors, artists and curators. The workshops will include other events such as guest talks by artists and art writers, field trips to local galleries and the Art X Lagos international art fair.
The participants should:
• Have at least 2 to 3 years journalistic/writing experience in the cultural field
• Be interested in contemporary art, critical writing, creative arts writing, and/or curation.
• Be fluent in spoken and written English
• Submit a writing sample between 500 and 1000 words in MS Word document here with the subject: Art Writing Application
• Include a professional CV and a 200-word letter of motivation describing your area of interest and why you want to participate in this workshop.
• Successful applicants will be informed by 5 August 2022
• Submit entries to email: email@example.com
Submission deadline: Sunday 10 July 2022.