As an Illustrator at Brilliant, you will be responsible for translating interesting mathematical and scientific concepts into engaging and educational visual communication design in our PIX style.
Your work will be featured prominently in Brilliant web and mobile products, social media, and marketing campaigns, to deliver fun and interactive learning experiences to millions of learners.
This is a highly cross-functional and collaborative role. As a member of our Art team, you will work with other talented artists, designers, animators, creative technologists, and subject matter experts in math and science to create custom artwork that engages and delights our users.
Who We Are
Brilliant is a tight-knit team of scientists, educators, engineers, designers, storytellers, and illustrators who are redesigning education at scale.
We believe that math and science are fascinating and beautiful, but that the tools widely used to teach it are dry and ineffective. Brilliant makes learning STEM fun, through problem solving and interactive explorations – from foundational math and science to cutting-edge computer science and professional topics.
Brilliant helps over 12 million students, professionals, and lifelong learners around the world cultivate problem solving skills, build intuition, and master concepts rather than memorize them. To understand more about our approach, see our learning principles.
You can see all open roles and learn more about our team culture on our Careers page.
What You Will Be Doing
- Create a wide range of 2D vector artwork, including concept sketches, final illustrations, and UI design mock-ups, in Brilliant’s illustrative style.
- Be flexible and adaptable to shifting timelines and goals as we mature our production process.
- You should be as comfortable with asset production as with generating ideas while working with various stakeholders.
- Visualize environments, characters, objects, and color schemes to help establish a growing library of reusable artwork and templates in a componentized system.
- Communicate with other members of the art, content, interactive, design, and marketing teams to ensure efficient and accurate implementation.
- Ensure that illustrations meet both production deadlines and technical specifications.
- Actively test and iterate visual assets based on feedback from stakeholders.
- Keep working files well-organized to facilitate a collaborative workflow.
- Provide constructive and actionable feedback during team meetings to help expand Brilliant’s illustration system.
- Actively participate in professional growth through developing new skills.
Who You Should Be
- Experience with illustration and UI/UX within game-relevant fields.
- Experience illustrating under brand constraints.
- An extensive illustration portfolio, preferably in vector, that demonstrates an advanced understanding of form, value, perspective, composition, and color.
- Strong ability to apply overarching visual concepts in illustration systems.
- Ideally, experience working with or building structured asset library frameworks and illustration development pipelines for production.
- Proficient in Adobe CC, Figma and comfortable working within new digital technologies.
Animation/motion design proficiency, especially with After Effects
Benefits & Other Information
Salary: $120,000 – $165,000 a year
We use a systematic compensation framework. Salary scales are set each year for each job vertical, based on market data and company budget. Independently, managers level folks on their team, and those levels are mapped formulaically to our compensation scales.
Additional, we always make First and Best Offers – there is no negotiation (for new hires nor our existing teammates). This ensures that people are paid based on their expected contribution, rather than their negotiation skills.
We do apply a location-based adjustment in less competitive markets, typically 5-10%. Feel free to ask us about your particular location!