The 5th edition of the GNI Student Fellowship aims to boost equal opportunities in media.
The programme has been developed to support the next generation of media professionals in Europe and to drive innovation across the news industry. This is a unique opportunity that can help you to kick-start a career in the news industry.
The GNI Student Fellowship is a programme managed by the European Journalism Centre in partnership with the Google News Initiative. It is aimed at students and recent graduates who can apply to become Student Fellows at one of the participating newsrooms. Selected Student Fellows will work at one of the newsrooms for eight weeks during the summer of 2023 and will be compensated for their work.
Applications for the 2023 GNI Student Fellowship are now open. We are offering 20 placements across 9 European countries: Spain, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, France, United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy and Poland.
Apply before Friday, 21 April 2023, 23:59 CET!
Selected Student Fellows will work at one of the participating newsrooms for eight weeks during the summer of 2023. Depending on the particular matching criteria of each newsroom, Student Fellows will research and write stories, contribute to open source data projects, design new digital products, and/or contribute to one of the many other innovative projects newsrooms have ongoing. The GNI Student Fellowship will be kicked off with an online boot camp that will allow the Student Fellows to get to know one another, build a network, and receive career-enhancing workshops from experts in the work field. This year, we are also doubling down on our efforts to increase Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the programme. You can read more about that here.
Why should I apply?
- By applying, you get the chance to become a Student Fellow in 2023! If you are selected, you will get the unique opportunity to learn what it is like to work for a European newsroom.
- Student Fellows are paid by their newsroom for eight weeks of full-time work. The minimum amount will be €2,500; the exact amount will be at the discretion of the newsroom.
- Student Fellows will attend useful workshops and enjoy network opportunities during the kick-off bootcamp. This bootcamp will prepare you to make the most out of your Fellowship.
- The European Journalism Centre will check in with all the Student Fellows during the Fellowship to provide them with guidance, training, and advice and touch base on progress and needs during the Fellowship.
When should you apply?
The timeline of the 2023 GNI Student Fellowship is as follows:
- 22 March – 21 April: You can submit your application from Wednesday 22 March, 10:00 CET to Friday 21 April, 23:59 CET. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- May and June: Your application will be reviewed by the news organisation and diversity partner. You will hear whether or not your application has been successful by the end of June latest.
- July: Student Fellows will participate in an online boot camp hosted by the EJC that will prepare them for their Fellowship.
- June to September: The Fellowships take place. The exact dates will be determined in consultation with the newsroom.
How to apply
To apply follow the process:
- Read the details of the host media you would like to apply for thoroughly.
- Go through the application questions using the example application form
- Prepare your CV, work samples, references and motivation
- Login or create a new account
- Start the application process by clicking the apply button and follow the application wizard.
Specific amount is based on the news room you participate in, but minimum stipend allowed is €2,500 for 8 weeks of full-time work