Catering to the theme “Our Africa, Our Future,” five visual artists from the African continent will be selected for their artistic talent, creativity and commitment to interpret this theme
In a broad and expansive way across all visual art forms including painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, digital art and videography, African visual artists will have the opportunity to produce a piece of work of their own choice. This work will be published in an e-book anthology to be released in early 2023.
Why the Residency?
This year, The African Union celebrates its 20th anniversary since the organization’s establishment at the Durban Summit of July 2002. Dubbed AU20, the celebrations are taking place under the theme “Our Africa, Our Future” and will focus on the AU’s initiatives, successes, impact, challenges and the way forward.
As part of this commemoration, the African Union (AU), in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), is hosting a residency programme under the AU20 project for established artists from across Africa to produce a piece of work that celebrates the unity and potential of the African continent.
Where Will it Take Place?
The three-week artists residency will take place at the Loman Art House in Dakar, Senegal from 7 to 28 November 2022. The residency will culminate in a public event in Dakar to showcase and discuss the creative work.
What Will be Achieved?
The AU20 project aims to elevate the profile of the AU in the minds of Africans, particularly the creative community, and better connect the AU to African citizens. Powered by Africa No Filter, the artists residency programme will contribute towards bringing the African Union closer to the African people by selecting creative professionals who think outside the box, dare to challenge conventions and offer new and original work through their chosen materials, techniques and subject matters.
What is Expected of the Artists
- Be willing to commit to the entirety of the residency programme in Dakar, Senegal.
- Selected artists will create a series of artwork (1 to 3 depending on the medium) or a series of photographs (5 to 10) for exhibition at Loman Art House, at the African Union Commission and as a feature in the AU20 e-book anthology.
- Participate in the public event at the end of the residency, photography and videography of the creation process, and any publicity that may arise from the programme.
What Artists Receive
- All travel costs to, from and within Senegal.
- Accommodation and board at Loman Art House in Senegal.
- Workshop space within the Loman Art House premises.
- A stipend of US$1,000.
- Basic costs for tools and art materials will be covered.
- Trips to relevant places of interest while in Senegal.
- Meetings with key people in the Senegalese/African creative space.
- Established artists with at least one prior exhibition in a recognized art gallery.
- Digital art and videograpghy applicants should be actively engaged in contemporary artistic practice and show evidence of a national and international exhibition record, screening and audience.
- Visual Artists must be able to communicate in French or English.
- Visual Artists must be both nationals of, and resident in, any African country.
- Visual Artists must own a valid passport and be willing to travel to Senegal to participate in the physical residency.
- A CV with professional experiences, names of galleries exhibiting the artist’s works, participation in biennials and international meetings, and contact details for two referees (2 pages maximum).
- A short biography.
- A 1-page cover letter explaining why you want to participate in this AU-themed residency and what you hope to gain from the experience.
- A digital portfolio of previous work and/or links to the artist’s website and other social platforms.
- A copy of the ID page of your passport.
- Due to logistical reasons, Loman Art only accepts one application per artist (no duo, trio or collective).
The deadline for applications is 22 September 2022. Applications must be prepared in PDF format and submitted to email@example.com. Applications for which an element is missing as well as those that have exceeded the application deadline will not be taken into consideration.