Our goal at coursera is to make education accessible to all and we need extraordinary designers to realize this
The Design & Research teams are essential to Coursera’s accomplishments. These teams are in charge of gathering learner and partner insights and turning them into suggestions that aid Coursera in achieving a seamless platform experience. Growth & Discovery, Learner & Educator Experience, and Enterprise are the three core divisions of these teams.
Learning and changing are naturally difficult experiences. As a designer, it will be your job to simplify complicated situations and have an impact on anything from tiny micro-interactions to extensive business learning initiatives involving thousands of employee learners.
Who we are
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with more than 100 million registered learners. Coursera partners with 275+ leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
What you will be doing
- Work through design problems from beginning to end, translating research insights and high-level concepts into ideas that form delightful user experiences, then designing the workflows, visual design, and detailed interactions to execute them.
- Work through the initial ambiguous phases of the product design process, mapping business + customer needs to help define the vision and strategy for big bet ideas.
- Create experiences that drive business growth while being globally scalable, locally relevant, inclusive and equitable for all.
- Utilize qualitative and quantitative (metrics/ data) insights to inform design decisions.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, data scientists, content strategists, and researchers to create products from initial definition to shipping and beyond.
- Influence design decisions with cross-functional stakeholders and be an advocate for the customer.
- Balance prioritization and delivery across multiple projects, in a strategic Design Lead capacity.
- Lead by example. Coach less-experienced designers on best practices for design thinking, and raise the bar for the quality of design outcomes.
Who You Are
- 5+ years experience as a UX (User-Experience Designer)/ Product Designer
- Able to utilize effective communication and collaboration strategies with cross-functional partners; including PMs, engineering, other designers, and execs in evolving design proposals.
- Able to consider and rationalize the technical difficulty of different designs, finding ways to test concepts as simply as possible.
- Has experience building new products and conducting user research to inform MVP definition and development.
- Has the Core UX Design Skills required to facilitate design workshops, apply solution frameworks, create user flows, define IA, create wireframes, and create prototypes.
- Able to apply visual design skills while using a UI pattern library/design system.
- Able to design responsive, accessible web-based experiences. For mobile-design positions, able to design phone and tablet experiences.
- Experience with design and collaboration tools (eg: Figma, Miro and others).
- Experience working across multiple platforms web & mobile design, android & ios.
- Experience as a course instructor or teaching assistant.
- Experience leading design-thinking workshops.
- Able to design Right-to-Left experiences.
- Hybrid skill set across the design capabilities from UX design to visual design.
- Depending on the topic area you are interested in: experience designing for consumer SaaS product(s), enterprise products or consumer mobile.
Important to Note
Coursera is willing to employ individuals in any nation where we have a legal presence as long as they have the legal right to work there and their time zone aligns with that of their team. Being a remote-first firm, we perform our onboarding and interviewing online.
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera: